Wednesday, December 27, 2006

Wanaka, Haast Pass and the Westland

A sunny morning - so off to the excellent mtb trails around Wanaka - with singletrack galore named "Ho Down", "Cranking Fine", and Vertigo - it could only be good! Meurant and the Dirtopia crowd would be in heaven here! No time to explore all day - time for the westland.

Heading over the Haast pass to the isolated damp West Coast was impressive and here the rain started..and hasn't stopped yet. Aparently an average day. Along the road I came across a tree that had fallen right across the road. As I was on the scene first, followed shorly by a german traveller - we took it upon ourselfes to sort it out. I drew the short straw staning in the bucketing down rain with my red jacket on stopping cars while others hacked a path through the tree.

Good dead for the day I headed over to the impressive Fox Glacier! With all the rain the path was closed to the glacier, but signs are made for ignoring. Now staying at the next Glacier Franz Josef.. If I can get somewhere to stay - not keen to pitch a tent in this downpour.

1 comment:

steve said...

hey you finally made it to Wanaka, ask around for Sharpie, my old roommate from Whistler, they'll know who he is!