Tuesday, December 26, 2006


Queenstown - The adveture Capital of the World?

After the Milford track logistical challenge I headed out of Milford Sound, picked up 3 American hitch-hikers and headed to Queenstown via Te Anau. Had the best lamb burger ever in Te Anau, sponsored by the greatful hitcher who have restored my faith in yanks.

In Queenstown the weather was fine so I headed to the town camp site. After setting up TNF I headed to town to meet upwith my Uncle and Aunt from Sydney for pre-Christmas celebrations.

The Tunnel on the Shotover


Next day was rafting down the Shotover river, grade 3-4. Was super good to see the cold water flowing like that from a raft for a change - some good rapids a 100m rock tunnel and an almost capsized raft after getting a littly "sticky" in a hole. Even the bus trip down to river was scary.
Evening festivities included a fine diner and a visit to -5C ice bar - where everything is (you guessed it ) at -5 and the glasses are ice. Felt a bit like "work" in Canada!

Straight Vodka at -5C

Christmas day was celebrated by going for a 3hr ride around Moke lake and ending up at the shotover river. Some arguments with native new Zealanders (sheep and cows) over who had right of way were interesting and the path an goof mix of 4x4 and single track on the side of a mountain.

Arguments with locals


Up the gondola and some lugeing down the mountainside in the afternoon. Theses little cars are more exciting than they seem. Diner was a festive affair of bad xmas hats and jokes, excellent food and company!

Racing Denis!



With Xmas done I headed North to Wanaka, andother little town on a lake - from here I am going west to the Westlands(wet lands). where they get 7m of rain a year - not expecting good weather !

No comments: