Sunday, December 24, 2006

The Milford Track in One Day.

The milford track is a 4 day hiking trail in the South west of NZ. Rated as one of the "finest hikes in the world" Its 55km with one 1100m mountain pass in the middle. Mission: Do it in one day. This was harder than it seemed as it is aceesed by ferries at both ends. Conservation officials had to be convinced. Kayak hire companies had to be bribed. Ferry trips had to be pre-booked. Packets of clothes had to be deposited at a backpacker dorm. Lifts had to be hitched..Ohh yea and 55km had to be run/hiked - but this was the easy part.





Kayak (against the flow) to the start.

I started off at Milfound Sound (Words cannot describe the mountains and rain forests too amazing!) A quick kayak against the river to the end of track at SandFly point. (I was going to run it in reverse). From there I ran hard for 2hr knocking off lots of waterfalls and 20km. From there I was more relaxed as I now only had to do the remaining 33km in 9 hrs.

At the top of Mckinnion Pass..1150m up

After the pass it was down the clinton river to nmake the ferry by 5pm. Passing packets of trampers(NZ) [hikers (SA), bushwalkers (Aus)] as I went most of whom thought I was a little crazy. Time was looking good so I stopped at the last hut with 5km to go and sat and chatted to the walkers who had done the first 5km of the track. Most of them seemed a little confused as to why I was looking a little tired after the short walk they had done. Anyway the ferry ride out was good - up to Grumpy Backpacker in Te anau downs meeting up with my clothes packet and a good night sleep. Next morning I hitched a ride back to Milfoprd sound to retrieve my car.

Anyway all done in 7hrs. From there I headed to Queenstown for some rafting xmas and the rest!

More rivers and mountains.

1 comment:

steve said...

get a real job...oh yes, happy christmas