Saturday, December 16, 2006

Christchurch Day 1 - 16 Dec '06

Have car will travel

Sleeping in a Mazda 323 next to a paddock of cows is over rated! But this is how my NZ tour started after landing in Christcurch and picking up my hire car at 1am. It seemed silly to find accommodation at that time..Today I drove around the Christchurch area and hills. Note to self: In New Zealand the speed limits on rural roads are not an indication of a safe speed but an absolute maximum speed, only attainable by World Rally Champions - There's no kidding around here - One of back roads I drove on said inconspicuously enough "No camper Vans" It felt like the death road Colin had done in South America, cliff on both side one up ..one down....
I found this sign afterwards!

Anyway the touring done I went to sort out boats for the paddle down the Waimak tomorrow. I tested out one on the Avon river that went well. After that I headed to the surrounding hills for a quick mtb - again insane trails with little kids bombing down like men possessed.

Riding the hills of Christchurch

So its up at 6am face 90 cumecs (cubic meters per second) of fast flowing river - should be fun! Lucky we have (what seems like a good Kiwi guide).

No comments: