So you guessed I am back in Sydney and its been raining in Sydney and surrounds for a change. So even though it was mid-winter and the temp gauge said -4C at 8AM on the way to the river, we set off to paddle the rarely paddleable Shoalhaven upper-section "Welcome reef to Peggies Gully (Powerlines)". An excellent section of Grade 3/4 rapids in a pool-drop fashion. Extremely cold underwater and in the shade, but otherwise fine. I had 2 thermals, a shorty wetsuit, and a Drytop. The level was great - 1.5m at Hillview, which made for big water but not too washed out.
Rodeo Falls in the background.The foam comes from Kangaroo droppings in the run-off(so they say).
[Photo - Paul.]
Rodeo falls a good 3.5m drop, that sent me over in the last section, we had photo's of the falls with paddlers submerged. The insane foam at the bottom almost did the same.
The walk out which people describe as being harder than the than the river was way over-rated, and a good warm up from the cold paddling. Even better was going to the pub at the end and getting back my camera which had fallen out at the start car reshuffle. Picked up by the pub owners - I know countries where that would never happen. Then a long drive back to Sydney to complete the 500km round trip.
The walk out which people describe as being harder than the than the river was way over-rated, and a good warm up from the cold paddling. Even better was going to the pub at the end and getting back my camera which had fallen out at the start car reshuffle. Picked up by the pub owners - I know countries where that would never happen. Then a long drive back to Sydney to complete the 500km round trip.


1 comment:
I read "really cold water", so when I saw the foam pic, the first thing I thought was... "WTF?! ICE?!" Hehe.
Post a Comment