Sunday, June 24, 2007

Around the UK in 13 days.

Changing of the guard Buckingham Palace.

Chairs waiting for People.

After doing some good touristing around London.

So, I flew I up to Manchester, eventually. Got there - did some work. Yes that was the point of the trip. In between working, I did a quick trip to the Peak's district to go for a run in the mountains, excellent with the evening lasting to 9:30pm.
Me not quite airborne in the Peak's district.

On the way back got horribly lost amongst the country lanes and tiny villages. Did some more work. Ok enough West-South of UK and back up to London for the conference.

I stated by heading west to the mountains of Snowdonia in Wales, got to Mt Snowdon the highest spot in England and Wales. Realised it wasn't exactly Everest so climbed that. Pretty spectacular even though it was only 2/3 as high as joburg at 1085m.

Atop Snowdon

Stayed in a Welsh Pup BnB in a place with hardly and vowels in the name. Carried on down through Cardiff to Bristol, stayed with my cousin and spent some time time looking around the city. Spotted some Banksy graffiti art.
Great Banksy Graffiti.

Then down through Dorset, Southhampton, Portsmouth all visiting relo's to Folkstone and Dover. Saw some white cliffs, ships, and tunnels but no sign of France through the fog.

Canterbury Cathedral.

Then back up via some famous cathedral to South of London. My base for the next few days while I went conferencing in London (the second work part of the trip).
London Eye.

Some boring lectures, some better ones, a great exhibition and 3 days later I was on my way again back to South Africa. A quick negotiation of the tubes, buses and rails, and a chance meeting of Dan in Victoria Station and I was off back to joburg for a one day stop over ont he way back to Sydney via a weekend in Perth.

4 comments:

Hugo said...

Looks like a pair of Salomons, but not the XA Pro 3D, the one without the "extra" at the heel. What's it called? ;)

tsindle said...

Nope, those are a pair of very badly abused XApro 3d's.I have the other ones XA Comps - but with the thinner heal it encourages ankle rolls.

Hugo said...

So what's the XA Comps good for? Road running? Are they also as "cool" as the XA Pro 3D's? I take it the Pro3D's are that cool because of the "quick dry" design? Feels like the wind blows right through them, your feet can feel "cold"... ;) Makes them good for the summer, I think...

steve said...

for those of us who are not techno gear freaks and just get on with life...they are actually talking about a pair of shoes.