Tuesday, May 09, 2006

Canberra AROC 24hr AR

Canberra AROC 24hr AR

Iambeautiful

With the next Canada trip being postponed at weekly intervals I was left on Thursday afternoon with nothing to do on the weekend. One SMS and 24 hours later I am on the train bike in hand to Canberra for the AROC 24hr urban challenge adventure race. Racing with two other guys who I had met and raced against in Tasmanian XPD. Race started again with a bus ride – becoming a trend here. A short O-leg to sort the teams out then onto 15km of some of the sweetest single-track ever. More biking, a bit of paddling, some running and abseiling, some thorns..some more thorns…even more thorns. Oh yea and then some thorns and some punctures. But luckily our 9 tire pump ups was less than most teams!

Us and the thorns..Focussed

Then onto some checkpoints at house parties, night clubs, cow paddocks, and parliament buildings. Some kick biking thrown in and I still managed to fly over the handlebars while inspecting the government buildings, as well as falling of my mountain bike when I fell asleep. Then an unsuspected surprise. A bonus leg, that took us all the way to 23hrs and 30 minutes and into 5th place, 2nd open team. Thanks Salomon for the small backpack now I have six.

No comments: