Tuesday, March 20, 2007

Sri Chinmoy Multisport Race - Jindabyne

The course map.
The Race:

Leg 1

Swim 1.5 km

Leg 2

Paddle 9 km

Leg 3

Run 7 km

Leg 4

Mountain Bike 9 km

Leg 5

Swim 2.5 km

Leg 6

Paddle 5.5km

Leg 7

Mountain Bike 11 km

Leg 8

Run 12.5 km

Leg 9

Mountain Bike 42.8 km

Leg 10

Swim 1.2 km

Leg 11

Paddle 9.5 km

Leg 12

Run 5 km


After the recent trips to New Zealand, I have taken a break for a while then started training up a week ago after Neil suggested we do this race as a team. We entered the Team of 4 category with 3 people (between 3 Engineers all with MSc's we still couldn't count to 4) . We carefully constructed a plan of who would do which legs based around the fact that I would drown in a 800m swim never mind 1.2/1.5/2.5km..so Neil and Wayne both gun triathletes took those. As punishment I ended up with the long 42km mtb leg, together with a short 9km mtb, and two paddles of 9km.

Neil is out there somewhere.

The race started with a swim, where unfortunate Neil had to dive into the water when the air temperature was barely above single digits. He did a fine job - battling the crowds and handing over to me for the first paddle.

Tim ending Paddle 1.

Having one of the fastest boats around I cruised out onto the lake in my trusty K1, passing barges as I went. I was disappointed when another K1 cruised past and I couldn't even stay on the slip - but this was short lived as he tipped in and started a very long swim with a boat full of water to the edge of the lake. There was a little side chop that was uncomfortable in the K1, but managed to stay upright till I produced an ungraceful exit at the next transition.
Wayne took over here for a flying 7km run over rocks and we rushed to load the boat and make sure we beat him there ready for my next mtb leg.

Ready for MTB action.

This short 9km was awesomely technical, singletrack all the way. Sucks to be a roadie triathlete. Luckily I got my compulsory fall out of the way when I practised this leg the day before. It went well but mtb skills still need work to get them back to the good old days of Jonkershoek, Pardyskloof and Papagaaiberg. Next handover was back to Wayne, he had pulled the shortest straw of all and had the unenviable 2.5km swim - ouch. Back to Neil for a short paddle where he took advantage of his sea kayaking experience to blits through in some choppy conditions.
Wayne missing his skinny road tires.

Over to Wayne again for a short mtb leg - his mountain bike wasn't happy so he went on mine and figured the weird gears out as he went. It worked well as he had the same seat height and peddles. Now over to Neil again for a hilly long run, (another short straw pulled) - Meanwhile I was having a good rest..thanks..

Now it time for some punishing Tim, The 42km mtb started with a 8km tar road climb with 500m vertical ascent, from the Kosciuszko park entrance up to to Rennix Gap at 1600m. From there it was a short lived downhill down to the famous snowy river then a massive steep dirt climb on the other side another 500m this time in 6km of gravel. It hurt, but after I got into the rythm of it and started passing some people it was ok. The "down" on the other side of the hill took a lot longer than expected with some serious rutted roads. After forever I popped out onto the lake shore to hand over to Neil for another swim leg - while I raced him in the motorboat ferry - just enough time to get my boat sorted and ready for my final paddle leg.

The last paddle leg went ok, except I din't know where to go so wasted a lot of time looking behind and checking the paddlers behind me were still going the same way that I was. With a show-pony surfing exit I handed over to Wayne for the final 4km run.

Tim showing off (and not falling in this time)

Wayne sped around the last loop, to give us a finishing time of 9:50 - 7th overall and 4th in the mixed teams - an awesome effort all around. Then we jumped back in the car and drove back 6hrs to Sydney, thanks Neil for doing the bulk of the driving as I was spent.


Team Netiwa

1 comment:

steve said...

hey, what's this you say about getting lazy? I am shocked to see that there are V-brakes on your offroad racer, FUNRIDER....my new bike's coming with Juicy 5 baby, very niiiiice