Thursday, August 30, 2007

Snowy mountains X-Country Skiing.

Snowy mountains X-Country Skiing.





Well after a bumper snow season early on the weather has warmed up so much that we had to walk the first km to get to the snow. Such a weird experience walking in the Aussie bush dressed in full ski gear.





Ahh there's the snow. Did I mention I have no clue how to ski. So 8km and 500m of vertical was going to be a little bit of a problem - specially with the pack on.


Day 1: The googles and I get a handle on climbing up mountains. Downhill is a problem.

This is Australia - can you believe it! Awesome conditions high up 8C windless, cloudless. Tshirt weather!.


Our camp near blue lake. Damn it I forgot the snow pegs. Luckily borrowed an ice axe to secure my tent down.


Well against all odds I made it down with all limbs still attached to my body. by zig and zagging and snow plowing and even a couple of turns the downhill wasn't as bad as I thought it might be. This is the snowy river. Plan is to come back in Early October to paddle it when all the snow melts.



Jirri climbing the hill, how good is it to be able to embed videos so easily. Shot Blogger!

No comments: