Sunday, May 13, 2007

The past weeks.

The last few weeks have seen a bit of paddling, a bit more paddling, some working, some battling with lazy embassy officials to get my passport out of them. So the fun stuff in all of that is - you guessed it the paddling.

The Map: Joadja Creek to the Nudist Colony on the Wollondilly.

Wingecaribee River:

A once placid river meandering through the scenic southern highlands, south of Sydney. But now in the drought it's used as part of a pump/storage scheme to supply thirsty Sydney-siders with water. A small creek with a steep average gradient that varies between 10m/km and 80m/km. There are some sick drops, excellent boulder gardens and good opportunities to portage for wusses like me. Worst of all it ends at a Nudist colony - lucky for us it was cold and they were in hiding. The 13ishkm section took us just over 6hrs, no major incidents, one pinning, 3 broken paddles, one sticky hole, and one stage where I felt like I was going to get sucked backwards down "The Chasm" without a paddle and barely in my boat. But we all left with a healthy respect for the river and our clothes mostly intact. Richard edited and awesome video check it out here -only 40MB. Stop watching just before the end..you have been warned.
Awesome Wingecaribee Video

Something Fishy going on here...[Thanks Rich for photo]



Next week sees a quick flip down to Melbourne, to shoot some radar in some tunnels under the city - should be fun if I can get everything ready for it - hence the reason I am "working" on a Sunday afternoon.



2 comments:

Hugo said...

*drool*...

One day, I'll also have me a playboat, and some white water experience... ;)

Anonymous said...

A little gazelle